Sunday 17 November 2013

Nutella pecan brownies



Nutella pecan brownies...there’s not a word to dislike in that!  I loved these!  The nutella adds a richness and roundness of flavour to the brownie that compliments the chopped pecans.  I think they are up there as the most flavoursome brownie I’ve tasted....and I liked how the nutella added to the squidginess too.




I used dark chocolate for the brownies, where usually I’d be tempted to use milk or half milk/half dark.  The nutella is milky and sweet and I didn’t want to overdo the sweetness as I like a brownie with a strong hit of cocoa goodness!




Brownies are one of the few things that Mr CC and I disagree on (also on that list are Michael Buble, how interesting science is, coffee and capers).
  He can’t get past the texture, which for me is the whole point of a brownie!



Footnote: this could actually be the footnote for any brownies I have ever made....Mr CC took the leftover ones into work for his colleagues...he tried one...and he liked it.  But he doesn’t like brownies.  Except for all those brownies in the recent past he has tried and liked.  Men are funny!



Ingredients

150g unsalted butter
100g nutella
100g dark or milk chocolate, broken into squares (I used dark)
3 eggs
150g caster sugar
80 self raising flour
50g pecan nuts, chopped finely plus a further 12 pecan halves for the top


Method

Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan oven 180°C/400°F/gas mark 6.

Line an 18cm (20cm will work too) square pan with baking paper.

Place the butter and nutella into a small saucepan and place over a gentle heat.  Stir occasionally.

When the mixture is melted and smooth turn the heat to the lowest setting and add the chopped chocolate.

As soon as the chocolate starts to melt, turn the heat off and leave the chocolate to melt into the butter mix.  Stir occasionally until the chocolate has completely melted.

In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar until it is light and whippy.

Pour in the chocolate mix and beat together.

Fold in the flour and chopped nuts.

Pour into the prepared tin and gently sit the pecan halves on top – space them out evenly as this will help you to cut the brownies later.

Bake for 30 minutes or until the brownies are almost baked.  There’s no right or wrong here – it depends how squidgy you like your brownies.  Make sure you take them out just before they are how you like them as they will continue to cook and firm up as they cool.

Leave the brownies to cool for 20 minutes in the tin before lifting out and cutting into 12 brownies.

Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.


Eat.

16 comments:

Katie said...

These look so fudgy and indulgant. I bet the nutella really enhances the nutty pecan on top.

Men are funny with their likes and dislikes arn't they! My BF says he hates cheese but will happily tuck in pizza with lots of cheese

Gloria Baker said...

these look beautiful I love these sizes look cute!:)

Laura Loves Cakes said...

I will definitely be bookmarking these...as you say what's not to like here. Nutella adds a great flavour to any bake and they look great :-)

Izzy said...

These look so good! Brownie plus nutella and pecans! My ultimate kind of brownie.

Kezia said...

You can never have too many brownie recipes, these look beautifully gooey inside! I can never understand people who say they don't like brownies - that is not to love?

Baking Addict said...

Definitely not a word to dislike at all - all my favourite and it looks amazing. I think it's hilarious that Mr CC does not like brownies but likes these!

Nickki said...

Nutella pecan brownies?? Omg yes please...they look divine!

Cakelaw said...

Yummo! These look fabulous.

Cakeyboi said...

Fab fab combo CC!!

Jo said...

This is definitely my next brownie recipe to try! I've never tried nutella or pecans in a brownie before.

Men are funny creatures indeed. My dad says he doesn't like coconut but if he ever buys a chocolate bar what does he buy? A Bounty!

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

Your post resonated- my husband claims to not have a sweet tooth and then will devour in one sitting a family sized pack of maltesers insisting he didn't realise he was to 'share' them...

Maggie said...

My hubby would never eat a brownie he says they need cooking more! The brownies appear to be a hit then with Mr CC.

Lucy said...

These look so delicious - the fudgy centre of brownies is always the best bit so anything like nutella that enhances that is always a winner!

Anonymous said...

I made these a few days ago and they are delicious! To guard my ever expanding waist line I took most of them to work, where my colleagues were fighting over the last piece!

Choclette said...

Those pecans give quite a sophisticated air to the humble brownie. I'm glad Mr CC was won over - again!

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

Love the flavours in this! And they look suitably squidgy and fudgy too - how every brownie should be.