Sunday 21 June 2009

Rum and raisin slices


If there is a flavour combination the CCD (Caked Crusader’s Da) cannot resist it’s rum and raisin, thus for Father’s Day this seemed an obvious choice.


I adapted the recipe – originally it was for sultanas soaked in Irish whiskey but as I don’t like whiskey......can you see where this is going?


The CCD loved this cake and wanted it noted that he had three pieces of it. Normally he has a piece of cake but never seconds. This time he had seconds and thirds and kept some slices back for tomorrow. In my baking career this has never happened so it is truly an event worth documenting! In fact, I felt like the Man from Del Monte had just said "yes"!



These are a very simple bake and the only planning involved is making sure you soak the fruit for long enough before you make the cake. I used a mixture of golden and brown raisins and soaked them in rum for about 36 hours. By this time they were plump, juicy and sparkling like jewels.



Ingredients:
For the raisins – make well in advance:
150g raisins
100ml dark rum

For the cake:
130g unsalted butter, at room temperature
130g golden caster sugar
2 eggs, separated
130g self raising flour
2 tablespoons Demerara sugar


How to make:

- At least 24 hours before you plan to bake the cake, soak the raisins in the rum. Cover the bowl tightly (I used clingfilm) and, whenever you pass the dish, peel back the clingfilm and give the raisins a stir.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Line the base and sides of an 18cm square tin with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until creamy and light.
- Beat in the egg yolks one at a time.
- Stir in the raisins and rum.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until you reach the stiff peak stage.
- Fold the egg whites into the cake mix in three batches alternately with batches of the flour.
- Spoon into the tin and level the surface.
- Sprinkle the Demerara sugar over the top and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out cleanly. Mine took exactly 25 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes before turning out and letting cool completely.
- Cut into fingers.
- Bask in glory at the wonderful thing you have made.
- Eat.

10 comments:

Maria said...

I have to make these for my dad. Raisins are his favorite! Thanks!

Clare said...

These look wonderful !! Ok, another bake on my list for this week !!

Cakelaw said...

Yum! I love rum and raisin (especially in icecream :)). CCD is a lucky guy. In Australia, Fathers Day is not until September, so we are way behind the 8 ball.

Michelle said...

This looks fabulous! I can't wait to try it!

Premyscakes said...

wow, rum and raisin great combination. just love to have it.

Lisa said...

Oh I wish I liked raisins. Or rum, for that matter. Soaked in bourbon, however, I'm sure I could eat this no problem. It certainly looks delicious. :)

Clare said...

Ok.....so I'm not known for my patience *blushes*.

I soaked the raisins as soon as I read your recipe this morning, and I've just made the slices.

I KNOW!!! I didn't soak them for as long as you said, but the raisins were beautifully plump and rum-filled, and wonderful...and.....

it was amazing. Thank you !!

Lickedspoon said...

These look good! Thanks for visiting my blog and letting me know about the marvellous-sounding Iron Cupcake London. I'd love to enter but may not be back from France in time. Perhaps next time?

♥Rosie♥ said...

Rum and raisin has to be one of the great classics of flavours and your cake is just perfect for that special man in your life CCD. I bet he loved it :0)

glamah16 said...

Rum and raisin has to be one of the best flavors ever!