Saturday 20 September 2008

Apple cake

I found this exact recipe in two different cook books, only one called it “Irish Apple Cake” and the other called it “Yorkshire Apple Cake”. I have no idea which is correct so have simply called it Apple cake.


Apple works so well in cake – the acidity and texture adds a depth of flavour and interest to the sweet batter. This recipe uses cooking (rather than eating) apples and provides a beautifully balanced sweet/tart contrast.

I served this cake at tea time with some Chantilly cream but it would be delicious for dessert served warm with custard or ice cream.



This is one of those satisfying yet simple rustic cakes; the sort of cake you’d expect to see cooling in a farmhouse kitchen. I love all cake but this type is my favourite particularly the cinnamon sugar crunchy topping! This photo shows the topping off at its best:


Ingredients:
For the cake:
225g cooking apples (I used Bramleys), peeled, cored and chopped to 1cm cubes
225g plain flour
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
115g unsalted butter, diced
115g golden caster sugar
1 egg
2-3 tablespoons of milk

For the crunchy topping:
50g golden caster sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

How to make:

- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Line a 20cm round springform cake tin.
- Rub the butter into the flour and baking powder until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Chop the apples (don’t do this too far in advance or they will turn brown, if you want to do it in advance then cover with some lemon juice to stop discolouration) and add to the bowl along with the egg.
- Mix thoroughly and add milk, as required, to achieve a dropping consistency.
- Spoon the mix into the cake tin. It will be lumpy because of the apple. Level in the pan.
- Now make the topping: Mix together the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out cleanly. Mine took 50 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack and leaving to cool completely.
- Serve either at room temperature with some whipped cream, or warm with custard or ice cream.
- Bask in glory at the wonderful thing you have made.
- Eat.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Looks delicious. I bet it would taste great warm with some custard

Anonymous said...

I love your website! I wish I knew how to understand grams, but these American school teachers have taught me nothing. This looks really good, though.

The Caked Crusader said...

Hi Joanna

So glad you enjoy my site.

I am the opposite to you and can't get on with cups - they seem too imprecise. I use this conversion site:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_volume_cooking.htm

It's not perfect but I've never had a recipe fail when I've used it. It's better than most as it takes account of the different weight/density of ingredients.
Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

thanks for telling me about that website! i always get discouraged if i don't understand the recipe, so this will help.

Rosie said...

A delicious looking Apple Cake C.C.

Rosie x