Sunday 10 August 2008

Buttery golden syrup cake

Although a plain cake i.e. no icing or buttercream, this packs a lot of flavour. The combination of butter, brown sugar and golden syrup is rich and deep and...wonderful!


I know I often say that a cake is easy to make, but this one really could not be simpler. The recipe caught my attention because of its few ingredients and the inclusion of golden syrup – I think this is one of my favourite ingredients as it just makes everything delicious!


The CCB (Caked Crusader’s Brother) described this cake perfectly. It tastes like when you’re lucky enough to have some leftover steamed golden syrup pudding and have it cold the next day – all the sugar and syrup flavour has intensified coupled with a wonderfully moist texture.



Ingredients:
250g unsalted butter, at room temperature and chopped
220g dark brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon golden syrup
225g self raising flour
125ml milk (whole or semi skimmed)

Optional: icing sugar, to dust on the cake before serving

How to make:

- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Line a 20cm springform cake tin.
- Place all the ingredients in your mixing bowl and mix until well combined and smooth (I advise using an electric mixer, if you do it manually your arm might fall off!). The batter should be an even dark brown colour.
- Spoon mixture into tin and bake for approximately 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out cleanly. Mine took 1 hour.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack and leaving to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Bask in glory at the wonderful thing you have made.
- Eat.

32 comments:

glamah16 said...

It does look good!

Swati said...

It looks very good and delicious..

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Ive bookmarked this one. I hve to make it. Looks delicious

April said...

My, you have been busy - this one looks divine

April xx

Dee said...

Please tell me the entire clan came to town, and you baked for 15 aunts and uncles. Please. If I baked like this I'd be HUGE.

cakewardrobe said...

It's breakfast time for me.. and I'm getting hungry!!! That looks delish!

daphne said...

I'm going to be trying this one! It looks fantastic!!!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

You have me with your brother's description of this cake! Lovely :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Hi, is golden syrup the same thing as corn syrup? That cake did look wonderfully moist! Yum, thanks for the recipe!
Ingrid

The Caked Crusader said...

Hi Ingrid

Thanks for stopping by! No, golden syrup is not the same as corn syrup although they can be substituted for each other in recipes. Other substitutes for golden syrup could be honey, treacle or molasses.
This link might be of use to you:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071221053706AAOso3K

Hope this helps!

The Caked Crusader

fatboybakes said...

looks yummy, but it sounds like a lot of sugar. 220gm is what? 2 cups?

Cakelaw said...

Yum - this looks fab! Plain cakes are often the best, and anything with golden syrup in it has my vote.

Rosie said...

Oh my goodness this is one very yummy cake oozing with buttery golden syrup - slurp :P

Rosie x

Carolyn said...

I made this yesterday. I didn't have quite enough soft dark brown sugar so used a combination of that and demerara.

Delicious! Divine! And SO simple to make. Thanks so much for the recipe.

bittersweet said...

that is just what i was looking for. yum

Anonymous said...

I made this tonight, was looking for something really quick and easy and with golden syrup...oh wow, don't think I've ever had a cake this good! I may have a heart attack later, it's very rich, but WOW!

Penni Russon said...

I love this cake, I am pregnant and have a golden syrup thing.

I've made it twice, the first time in a very cold kitchen with quite hard butter that remained a little lumpy, the second time in a warm house, with a food processor. The lumpy bumpy cake turned out better. Huh.

I realise this may sound superfluous and even slightly evil, but I like to brush the finished warm cake with heated golden syrup.

Thank you for your truly excellent cake.

The Caked Crusader said...

Hi Penni

"Superfluous" and "slightly evil" are some of my favourite words!!!

Graham said...

This is better if you use half the sugar and replace it with golden syrup. After baking allow to cool for five minutes and then drizzle about a 1/4~1/2 cup of warmed golden syrup over it. Allow to cool or serve at once with custard.

Anonymous said...

Im going to make it now.. just got to go get some milk :-)

Anonymous said...

I made this yesterday..... Absaloutly gorgeous... went down a treat!

Anonymous said...

I made it! And it was just delumpscious! Yes rich and buttery goodness.
This one is a 'keeper'.
Absolutely loved it. Thank you for sharing.
Roze.

Alice said...

I made this cake last week and couldn't wait to make another one. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe

Alice said...

I made this cake last week and couldn't wait to make another one. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe

Lynda said...

Have made three of these, already a firm family favourite! So easy love the all in method. Thank you.

Aamirah said...

Just making this now excited :)!

Anonymous said...

Just made this yummy cake!! Sooo easy! (And I don't have a mixer!) Just did it by hand and wasn't bad at all. Its a lovely cake,mine has come out very soft and fluffy and the sponge is very light?! Soo tasty!! Love it !

Anonymous said...

This makes a great ginger cake too: I replaced the syrup with black treacle, added 1 and a half tsp ground ginger and 2 chunks of stem ginger chopped up. Lovely consistency.

Elessaro said...

Om nom nom nom nom. I have made this three or four times and am about to do it again - somehow, I don't think I've made it since last April - what was I thinking of? Goes down a treat with my choir! I too substitute more syrup for some of the sugar and then brush the top with YET MORE syrup afterwards. You can never have too much golden syrup (is that perhaps the eleventh commandment?) lovely lovely recipe, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Really yummy did mine as buns for pack lunch! Great recipe!
Ella

Anonymous said...

This is my go to recipe for golden syrup cake - perfection, although I like to be gluttonous and add an extra spoonful of golden syrup!

Penni Russon said...

I know this recipe is 100 years old in internet years, but I still love it.