Sunday 13 April 2008

Rum and raisin cupcakes

The work of minutes to make yet delightfully pleasing. Soft, buttery little cupcakes containing juicy raisins and topped with a rum buttercream these are little gems!


You can use any type of rum for these but just be aware that a dark rum will give a much stronger taste than a white. I went middle-of-the-road and used golden rum made by the best rum makers in the world: the Tortuga rum company in the Cayman Islands:


While all cake is attractive and needs to be eaten by me, nothing quite says “come and eat me” more than a cupcake piled up with buttercream!



Here are the cupcakes nude and fresh from the oven – they look pretty already:



I probably need to get out more, but I thought they looked really cute in the tin waiting to be eaten :


Ingredients:
For the cupcakes:
125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
125g light brown sugar
2 eggs
125g self raising flour
2 tablespoons rum
100g raisins

For the buttercream:
250g icing sugar
125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
2-3 tablespoons rum
60g chocolate covered raisins (to sprinkle on top)

How to make:

- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan oven 170°C/375°F/Gas mark 5.
- Line a 12 hole patty tin with paper cases.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, flour and rum and beat until well combined.
- Stir in the raisins.
- Spoon the mix evenly into the paper cases and bake for 12-15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean (mine took 15 minutes).
- Leave the cakes to cool on a wire rack.
- Now make the buttercream: beat together the icing sugar, butter and rum until smooth.
- Spread over the top of the cooled cupcakes and then sprinkle the chocolate raisins on top.
- Bask in glory at the wonderful thing you have made.
- Eat.

12 comments:

glamah16 said...

Oh yes. I love rum used in cakes. Rum has to be one of my favorite spirits. These look adorable. I have to get this cupcake holders I've been seeing all over. I like the look of them.

Cakespy said...

Oh my goodness, these look good! I love rum-raisin ice cream, but these look like something else entirely. Adorable and delicious!

Big Boys Oven said...

Walio, ain't they look so cute! cute balls topping!

Rosie said...

Ooooh YES please rum & Raisin cupcakes!! They are so cute and what a great combo you have going on here :)

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

Ohh, those cupcakes look delicious. I'll have to try making some rum raisin cupcakes!

Swati said...

I love these... the look and the flavours...superb!!

Maggie said...

Rum - and chocolate covered raisins - yes please. I wouldn't mind making these so that I can eat the raisins whilst making the cakes!
They look fabulous.

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

dear caked crusader
loved your rum and raisin cupckaes and their visual appeal !
I used the brandy for making fruit cakes, so used the liqor in other form, too!

G said...

Come to my mouth little cupcakes... do not be afraid. Mwah-ha-ha-ha-haaaa (evil laugh.)

Just delicious-looking!

dennis said...

Dennis says WOW --a blog about cakes! These look good.

Anonymous said...

Ooh - softly-crumbed raisin-rum-stuffed cupcake with oodles of lovely buttercream. Right up my street :-)

cocoa and coconut said...

Mmm these look fantastic. I want to make something like these very very soon !