Sunday 6 January 2008

What the Caked Crusader chose to bake to this week (5 Jan 2008)

I’m not usually a fan of female vocals often finding them too shrill or over-theatrical. Shirley Manson’s vocals however, are superb. This week I listened to the Garbage debut album, also imaginatively called ‘Garbage’. I think the phrase is ‘all killer, no filler’. There isn’t a bad moment on the whole CD which is why it disappointed me when subsequent releases never quite measured up.

Sometimes CDs become attached to a moment in your life and just listening to the CD conjures up such a rounded, full memory that it’s almost frightening. Think Proust’s Madeleine but music. This album was released in 1996, slap bang in the middle of my three years of training and exams to become a Chartered Accountant. I can clearly recall listening to this as a reward having completed a tedious day’s study faffing about with weighted average cost of capital and net present value calculations. If that means nothing to you be grateful!

No comments: