Sunday 16 December 2007

What the Caked Crusader chose to bake to this week (15 Dec 2007)

I fancied a bit of a singing session with my baking this week. I’m sure my neighbours were delighted! However much they may have been appalled by my vocal talent (or lack of) they couldn’t have criticised my choice of album. I love all of Kirsty MacColl’s recordings but my favourite is Tropical Brainstorm, sadly her final album before her tragic, untimely death. Flavoured with Latin American rhythms and packed full of Kirsty’s bitingly funny lyrics delivered in her warm voice it is a masterpiece. There isn’t a duff track or moment on the whole CD. Researching it online I was stunned to see that it was released in 2000. It’s as fresh and vibrant as if it was recorded yesterday.

Every track on it is wonderful but the standout for me is “In These Shoes”. Forget that comedienne Catherine Tate swiped it and used it as the theme music for her hilarious TV show (yes – the italics are there to indicate sarcasm). It’s a terrific song.

No comments: