Monday 17 September 2007

What the Caked Crusader chose to bake to this week (16 Sept 07)

I was very angry when I started my baking session on Sunday – I’d wasted almost an hour talking to the ironically named ‘helpdesk’ regarding my faulty internet connection. That meant there could only be one choice – System of a Down
For the uninitiated I admit it’s a hard sell – they’re Armenian-American heavy rockers. But put your prejudice aside and joy awaits you. I don’t like heavy metal or shouty rock yet I love SOAD. I confess I haven’t a clue what half their lyrics are on about – what is a terracotta pie? Do I even want to know? Possibly not. What could ‘wired were the eyes of a horse on jet pilot’ mean? All I know is that I want a tapeworm who’ll tell me what to do and where to go. And I really should start eating seeds as a pastime activity.
I think I enjoy SOAD so much as they have a surprisingly strong understanding of harmony and melody which makes it all the more wonderful when it disintegrates into life-affirming shout-a-longs that then pull back into quieter interludes.
Mostly, if you say a song makes you smile it’s a compliment to the performer. If it makes you laugh, and it isn’t a comedy number, that’s usually an insult. But SOAD get this reaction from me – it’s joyous music, it’s big music and EVERYONE SHOULD BE LISTENING TO IT!!!!

No comments: